Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fundraising

These past few weeks I've been extremely anxious about raising all of the money for my trip. Ever since I've sent out my letters, I've been racking my brain trying to think of unique and original ways to earn all the money I need to finance my trip... so much so that I've had trouble falling asleep on certain nights! I know it is not beneficial to worry about anything; God WILL provide and get me to Africa if that is His will for me. "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"... "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" Matthew 6:25-26; 33-34.


How true this verse is! The beauty of my financial situation is that I have to be reliant on God and put 100% faith in Him. The creator of the universe, heaven and hell, and everything that surrounds us... He will take care of everything; God's purpose is bigger than money! Earlier today I came across another person's blog who was raising money for a mission trip. She had such a wonderful perspective and I just had to share:


RAISING SUPPORT … Aren’t these often the two most intimidating words when it comes to going on a missions trip? If you’re like me, doesn’t the idea of sending letters to your friends and family asking them for money make your palms sweat and heart race? I just sent out over 50 letters in the mail yesterday, and I have to admit, part of me felt guilty. Thoughts racing through my head included, “Oh, why am I sending a letter to them? I know they don’t have the margin to support me right now,” or, “These people probably get hit up for money every year from multiple people. Should I add to that?” My need for acceptance so easily overwhelms my thoughts, and I feel like people are going to look down on me for sending them a support letter. But I do it, because even though those thoughts creep into my head another thought is more prevalent.

Do I have to raise support? Can’t I just pay for the trip myself? We get asked these questions a lot. And here’s what we say. No, you don’t have to raise support. If you can pay for the trip yourself and want to then that’s your choice. BUT, and here’s the thought that’s in my head when I am raising support … what if raising support isn’t about the money? What if it is about the people? By sending your friends and family a letter telling them what you are doing and asking for support monetarily and through prayer, aren’t you giving them the opportunity to get involved? Aren’t you giving them the opportunity to grow their faith in some way?
Maybe they can’t go on a trip this year because of work, or health, or some other reason. By asking them to come alongside you in some way you are giving them the chance to be a part of something that God is doing. You are giving them the chance to have their faith strengthened as they walk through the journey with you. Sure, they are not getting on the plane with you. They are not physically touching the orphans you are serving, or looking in the face of the college students you meet, or actually hammering in the nails of a new facility. But, they are a part of it, because they helped you get there with their financial donation; they are a part of it, because they are going to God in prayer on your behalf. Some of their prayers include praying for bonds to be formed and praying for life change to occur. And guess what? Because of your willingness to write that letter and send it to them, despite the discomfort you feel, their prayers are answered before you even step foot on a plane. A bond has been formed between you and them, and you experience life change as you trust God for the money to come in and find He is faithful. And ultimately, they experience life change as well as they journey with you and hear about where you went, who you served, and the amazing things that happened because both of you decided to do something.
After reading this, I was so encouraged! And what's awesome is that I totally stumbled on this randomly! God knows my struggles lately and He made sure that I found this. He will take care of my needs. "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment