Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Week 3

"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13b-14

This weeek has been SO great!! I absolutely love being with the children and serving Christ by loving them! My continual prayer is that they are able to associate my love for them as a direct result of God being in my life. Although the world may consider them orphaned and alone, they are not bc they are and have been chosen as God's children, Not only do they have a heavenly fatherbut they have multiple people ALL OVER the world who love them... due to their status as COTN children. I hope that I can continue to show them love and they in fact realize how much they are loved by so many!

The children of COTN are unique in that they are raised with a christian upbringing. Avery intense one by American standards. Their mornings begin with devotions and their nights end with them. They have verses to memorize every week and outreach outings to attend twice a week. Every Sunday is church (Malawian church mind you, which the past 2 Sundays has lasted 5 hours.... not exaggerating!) and the week sometimes ends with an occassional all-night prayer session ( we had one this past Friday that lasted til 4 AM. Needless to say, I was a slacker and only made it to 11:15 lol). I think it's fantastic that they are surrounded by God during a majority of their days; however, this can lead to a false sense of an intimate realtionship with Christ. Bc they are extremely knowledgeable about who God is and the Bible in general, it is important to make sure that they truely understand what it means to be a Christian and have a relationship with Christ. This is where we, as interns, come in to minister. We are here a longer period of time that most that visit Chiwango and are able to gain the children's trust, developing relationships with them. Right now, we are beginning to gain their trust and are praying for opportunities to learn more about individuals' take on God and what he mean in their lives. Please be praying for continual progress in this area as it is our ministry focus for the children of Chiwango.

One of the highlights of my week was the progress I made with a little 5 year old boy named William. When I first saw William, I instantly fell in LOVE with him! He is the CUTEST little boy EVER! The best word to describe himis stout and he looks like a smaller version of a grown man! William came to COTN in December; I still haven't been able to find out details about his past but I hope to soon. He was so reserved at first and stand offish but over this past week, he has opened up so much! He is always laughing (he has an awesome laugh!) and smiling; it's contagious! His new favorite thing to do, and mine to receive, is to give people "hugies," emphasis on the "e." He'll look at you and say, "Hugieeeeee!" then give you the biggest hug (he is so strong) and KISS YOU ON THE CHEEK!! Seriously he melts my heart!!

                                                     **

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties, For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

The Lord is teaching me so many amazing things about himself; how big, mighty, and powerful he truely is and how small and unworthy I am. Since I've been here, the Lord has taken the time to humble me. At home, it was so easy for meto engulf myself in distractions.... school, friends, TV, internet, cell phone, etc., while here, I have very little to distract me. Ok, really nothing to distract me haha! Bc of thi, I have had to face reality, that being God. It has been a scary, embarassing, shameful, eye-opening, powerful, and amazing time; a rollercoaster of emotions that have forced me to realize what I am, a sinner, and what it feels like to be a sinner. For too long I've been prideful without knowing I was being prideful! I had been self-rightous without realizing myself-rightousness! I had been so consumed with my own ambitions that I forgot my true calling! I needed to be reminded of my purpose and how God's plan for me is bigger and better than my own plan for myself. I thank God and praise him for allowing me to experience a newness that is only made perfect in weakness.

Please pray for this renewal process. It has just begubn and will continue long after I return home. He is teaching me that this will not be a quick, overnight thing; it will require time and patience. "When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:21-25.

I thank those of you who are praying for myself and my team members. There have been no more real issues of sickness, with the exception of a cold among one of the girls. My nightmare issue went away the same night I wrote asking for prayer and I haven't had anyissues since!! Thank you Jesus :) Our team unity did take a slight blow last week; some people were having personal issues that were intensified due to a lack of communication and cultural differences. Issues were resolved but it really shook me up bc I realized how badly Satan wants to destroy the amazing harmony of our group and have it impact our work with the children. We must be constantly prepared for this; please continue this prayer request.

Onto week 3 at Chiwango.... Pray for revolutionary things! I miss everyone greatly! xoxoxoxo

3 comments:

  1. My heart misses you more than you could EVER know I think of you constantly and my thoughts and prayers are with you consistently throughout the day. I know that this is experience has already been more than you could have hoped for and I cant wait to hear more! I love you sooo much and I am counting down the days til I get to hear your awesome voice and laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I say to you, this morning, that if you have never found something so dear and precious to you that you will die for it, then you aren't fit to live.
    You may be 38 years old, as I happen to be, and one day, some great opportunity stands before you and calls upon you to stand for some great principle, some great issue, some great cause. And you refuse to do it because you are afraid.

    You refuse to do it because you want to live longer. You're afraid that you will lose your job, or you are afraid that you will be criticized or that you will lose your popularity, or you're afraid that somebody will stab or shoot or bomb your house. So you refuse to take a stand.

    Well, you may go on and live until you are ninety, but you are just as dead at 38 as you would be at ninety.

    And the cessation of breathing in your life is but the belated announcement of an earlier death of the spirit.

    You died when you refused to stand up for right.

    You died when you refused to stand up for truth.

    You died when you refused to stand up for justice."

    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm amazing. this is why we are friends and this is why i love you. you are my soul mate :) greatness is happening and i can't wait to tell u alll about everything! xoxo

    ReplyDelete