Wednesday, June 29, 2011

TIA part 2

So much to say and not enough time to write it all down! The past two days have flown by and been filled with tons of activities. Our mornings start of at 7 AM with breakfast and quiet time until 9:30 AM when we've left for home visits in the village. Breaking into 4 groups, each team works with a family helping with daily chores and activities. My team's family was a single mother raising 3 young children under the age of seven. Her husband kicked her out, divorced her, and took all the belongings... literally everything except the clothing on her back, leaving nothing for herself or the children. She moved into a house next to her mother and sister. Having no job yet she relies financially on her mother to provide food, clothing, and shelter for her family. Ministering to their family, myself, Brittany, and Kendra, shucked corn, mudded her house (which is usually done weekly to make the home less dusty), washed dishes, pumped and carried water (everyone was incredibly impressed that I could carry a regular sized bucket full of water on my head... officially recognized as Malawian by the villagers hahaha), and cooked a typical Malawian meal (Kendra killed the chicken by cutting its head off; I then proceeded to feather, gut, and portion the rest of the bird... with a little help. I appreciate prepackaged chicken so much more now). While doing all these things, we were able to learn more about Malawian culture, practices, and the family's story. Later in the evening at team debriefing, our team leader mentioned that the families were surprised that the "azungus" (meaning white people in Chichewa) were coming into their homes to help with chores. They are so use to being the ones working for others, typically azungus, and were surprised that's not what we were looking to do. When I heard this, I loved that we were different to them. 

In the afternoons, our team breaks into two groups... one leads women's devotionals and the other leads VBS for the kids. I wasn't assigned a specific team so I am able to float between the two groups :) I've chosen VBS so far because I love spending time with the kids and I'm able to spend tons of time with Edina. A cool thing for me has been recognizing TONS of kids in Mgwayi, not only from last year but from three years ago! There faces have been burned into my mind from looking at my pictures over and over and over again lol. I LOVE the fact that I have my iPhone because when I recognize a kid, I'll pull it out, search for their picture, and show them. They literally freak out and it is hilarious! It is also really special for me because I've been able to see them grow up.... it's pretty awesome.

Dancing here is huge btw and I love.it. I have found my people!! We've danced a lot since we've gotten here.... at home visits, with the widows program, in the village with the kids... I love it so much because it bridges the gap. You don't have to speak at all to enjoy dancing together so the fact that we speak different languages doesn't matter at all.... you understand each other.  And boy can they break. it. down! They don't hold back and it's so much fun! Shocked is the best way to describe them when they see that the white girls can break it down... well some of them at least!!

*Update*- the lost luggage was recovered the day after the last post! Yea!! Total blessing and answer to prayer. Besides a cold that Keltner has, everyone else has been in good health. Another blessing because being sick here is pretty miserable.

Only a few more days left..... crazyyyyy

Much love! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment